Homemade Apple and Date Chutney
Tangy and sweet. Chutney is a spicy condiment made with fruits or vegetables.
Servings 2 cups
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch large saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
In a medium saucepan, over low heat, saute onion, ginger, and oil until translucent. About 3 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Stirring often.
Turn off the heat and cool completely before storing in jars.
This chutney keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
48 calories for 2 tablespoons.