Spongy cake, crunchy streusel with an amazing caramel flavor. Love at first bite.
Wow, wow, wow! That's my comment for this brown butter banana coffeecake. Have you tried baking anything with brown butter? It´s amazing!
A few months ago, one of those weeks when we had way too many ripe bananas, in my quest for something new to do with them, I found this Crazy for Crust recipe. It starts by browning the butter, something I had never done before, but by doing this first step I realized that I had found one of those techniques that I was going to try with other baked goods. When browning the butter, the house begins to smell incredible, kind of like caramel, then everybody starts running to the kitchen to see what you are making 🙂
The brown butter in this recipe is used both in the cake and in the streusel. Each bite has a soft crumb from the cake with some caramel-like flavor and a crunchy-nutty streusel. MMM.. delicious!
This cake or coffeecake can be served right out of the oven or the next day, the texture is just as tender. But prepare yourself with the recipe, you're going to have to share it with everyone, even the ones who've never baked before are going to ask for it 🙂
If you liked this recipe, make sure to check my Brown butter pumpkin coffeecake recipe.
Brown Butter Banana Coffeecake
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup sugar (150g)
- 6 tablespoons brown butter divided (85g)
- 1 cup banana puree (236g)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (118ml)
- 1-1/2 cup flour (187.5g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup black sugar (100g)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reserved brown butter
- 1 cup walnuts optional (125g)
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Once it begins to brown and foam, wait about 30 seconds and turn off the heat. Let it cool completely.
- Heat the oven to 180 ° C / 350 ° F. Grease a 9-inch round mold.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar, 4 tablespoons of brown butter and the egg. Mix well and add the milk and mashed bananas. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a small bowl mix the ingredients for the streusel, using the 2 tablespoons of brown butter that was left in the saucepan.
- Pour the cake batter in the mold already prepared. Sprinkle the streusel on top. Bake between 25 to 30 minutes or until the center of the cake, when you insert the tip of a knife, comes out clean.