If you like citrus fruits, this bundt cake is just for you! Ginger and pepper gives it a special flavor, it helps highlight the lemon in this cake.
I think I found my favorite cake 😊. This lemon bundt cake is soaked with lemon syrup. Not only that, there is some fresh ginger and fresh ground black pepper in it. I love all those different flavors, but I´ve never had a cake called for black pepper. All together makes a very delicious cake! To counteract the sweetness and acidity of this cake, serve it with a good cup of coffee.
Fresh lemons are best for this recipe. Get the zest first, and then the juice. We´ll be using both for this recipe.
Start by beating the eggs and sugar until frothy. It might take between 3 to 5 minutes.
Grease and flour your bundt pan. You don´t want your beautiful cake to come apart after all that work. And look at those little specks of black pepper and lemon 😍
While your cake is baking, make the lemon syrup. Once your cake is out of the oven, brush the syrup over your cake. I did this 2 or 3 times until my syrup was done.
Look at that crumb, so spongy and light. You´re going to love this cake. It takes a little bit more time to make and bake, but it´s so worth it! I tried it both hot and very cold after being in the fridge overnight. I can´t decide which one I liked best. Try it and let me know how you liked it!
Recipe adapted from Cocinando para mis cachorritos.
Lemon Bundt Cake with Ginger and Black Pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sugar (300 grams)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 cup vegetable oil (200 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3/4 cups flour (400 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup + 2 teaspoons buttermilk (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170 ° C / 350 ° F, grease and flour a bundt cake mold.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until frothy. Add zest, lemon juice, and oil and beat until everything is incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, pepper, ginger, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the flour and buttermilk to the egg mixture a little bit at a time. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poking the cake.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and letting cool on a rack.
For the syrup:
- While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup by putting all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. While still hot, pour it over the cake.
- Serve hot or store in the refrigerator for 6 hours and serve cold.
- Before serving, if desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.