Crispy savory bites made with puff pastry, caramelized onions, cheese, and pears.
Cute little bites that are absolutely irresistible! They taste great fresh and warm from the oven, or they taste amazing at room temp too. The perfect treat for your next get together.
They are crispy, savory, cheesy, with a hint of sweetness from the pear. A delicious bite that everyone will come back for more.
Using store-bought puff pastry, makes this appetizer so easy to make, and the end result is beautiful.
- Puff pastry
- olive oil
- cheese (I used Swiss cheese, but use your favorite)
How to make it
The caramelized onion in these little bundles or turnovers is the key ingredient. Is a wonderful way to pull flavor out. Take the time to make it, you won't regret it.
These onions can keep in the fridge for around a week, but they also freeze well.
Once you have the onions done, putting everything together is easy and quick.
Cut the puff pastry into 12 rectangles. Start by placing about a tablespoon of caramelized onions in the center of the pastry.
Sprinkle some cheese, and add a slice of pear.
To seal it properly so they don't open while baking, get your fingers wet and pinch the 2 corners together (don't use the egg wash, they'll come open).
Place them on a baking sheet, and then brush with egg wash.
Bake them for 20 minutes and enjoy!
These caramelized onion and pear bites are always a hit. It's a great recipe to have for parties and even last minute get-togethers.
Homemade Holiday Inspiration
Welcome back to our third week of Homemade Holiday Inspiration! For the month of November, we will be inspiring you with recipes, decorating ideas, crafts, homemade gift ideas, and much more!
This week is all about savory recipes.
Grab one of these delicious recipes for your holiday celebration!
Pull Apart Cheesy Bread from What’s Cookin’ Chicago
Cranberry Goat Cheese Roll from Savory Experiments
Loaded Cauliflower from Devour Dinner
Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball from House of Nash Eats
Old Fashioned Green Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar from Rose Bakes
Pear and Brie Crostini from Tastes of Homemade
Breakfast Charcuterie Board from Hoosier Homemade
Hasselback Potato Gratin from The Flour Handprint
Beef Wellington from Fresh Coast Eats
If you liked the recipe above, please consider rating the recipe and leaving a comment below! and share your picture on Instagram with the hashtag #chipabythedozen
Caramelized Onion and Pear Bites
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sheets puff pastry (17.3 ounces)
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Thinly slice the onion. Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir them gently.
- Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. After about 10 minutes, they will start to smell caramelized. Check so they don't burn. Cook until the onions are a rich, browned color. Add salt, mix, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 390F/200C. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unroll puff pastry and cut into 12 rectangles.
- In a small bowl make an egg wash with 1 egg, and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add about a tablespoon of caramelized onion to the center, top with cheese, and a slice of pear.
- Brush the corners with a little bit of water. Fold in one corner, then fold in over the second corner. Tightly pinch together so they don't unfold in the oven, then brush with egg wash. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let it rest for 5 minutes before removing them from the baking sheet.
Recipes you might like:
Tried this already and guess... it becomes another requested recipe! <3 thank you! they liked it so much!!
So happy to hear that, Maria!
Puff pastry is one of my go tos for quick appetizers. I love the flavor combination here.
Yes, it's so easy to use and everything looks beautiful 🙂
I love the sweet and savory combo of onions and pears! These bites will be perfect for the holidays!
This is my new favorite puff pastry! The pear and onion tie in wonderfully together for the perfect taste of sweet and savory!
We have really been getting into pears this year, so this is perfect timing!
Yum!! Perfect combo. I love just about anything wrapped up in puff pastry! 🙂