Wow! … Wow! bacon, chocolate and a hint of spice. With the first bite you can taste the chocolate, seconds later the bacon, and finally a little heat of the chili.
I’ve been thinking about what to do for Valentine´s day. Heart shape cookies.. pink.. red. I don´t know. I don´t think that´s something my husband would like. Then I thought of bacon, and then bacon and chocolate… mmm… Good choice!
Wow! yeah, I keep saying wow! I have never tried this kind of flavors before, I guess I´ll be making it a little bit more often.
Although I usually prefer milk chocolate over dark chocolate, with this recipe I really recommend using semi-sweet or dark chocolate. The bacon highlights the sweetness in the chocolate, the chili takes it to another level. It´s not really spicy, but adds a special touch to this already amazing snack.
Time to cook the bacon. The first time I cooked it, I did it on the stove, but it shrunk too much. The second time I baked them, they kept their shape better. If baking, bake at 375°F/190°C for about 10 minutes.
Do you celebrate Valentine´s Day? Do you like mixing unusual flavors like this one? please tell me in the comments!
Crunchy, sweet and spicy, a delicious combination.
- 8.7 oz / 247 g bacon about 13 strips
- 5 oz / 150 g semi-sweet chocolate (or use half milk and half semi-sweet chocolate?
- chili powder I used cayenne
- about 1/2 oz / 10 g white chocolate if desired
- Time to cook the bacon. The first time I cooked it, I did it on the stove, but it shrunk too much. The second time I baked them, they kept their shape better. If baking, bake at 375°F/190°C for about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Melt the chocolate. You can do it in the microwave: Place the chocolate in a bowl and put it in the microwave. Heat it for 30 seconds,remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating for a another 30 seconds, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency. Water bath method: heat a small pot with several inches of water,cover the top with a tightly fitting, heat-proof bowl. Make sure that the steam cannot escape. Also, check to make sure the surface of the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.Allow the chocolate to melt in the bowl, stirring occasionally, until it is completely melted. Remove from the heat and stir to make sure it's a smooth consistency.
- Cover your surface with wax paper. Using a knife or a spatula (in a video I saw somebody using a paint brush) coat each side of the bacon with about half teaspoon of chocolate. Sprinkle some chili pepper. If desired, melt some white chocolate and drizzled over the chocolate covered bacon. Transfer to refrigerator until white chocolate has set, about 20 minutes.
Keep in the refrigerator in a air-tight container for up to 5 days.